THE WHITE HOUSE
Location: Craigmillar, Edinburgh
Client: PARC Craigmillar
Programme: Completed 2011
Work started in April 2010 on the restoration of this Category B listed art deco former roadhouse in Craigmillar, Edinburgh. The works were jointly funded by Historic Scotland, the Town Centre Regeneration Fund and PARC Craigmillar. It forms a key element of the wider Craigmillar community regeneration currently being undertaken.
Built in 1936 the building was operational until the early part of this century when it fell it to disrepair following a number of vandalism attacks, resulting in its inclusion on the Buildings at Risk Register for Scotland. The works not only restored the shell, but improved the performance of key elements such as the roof and windows.
Careful research and analysis was undertaken to ensure that restoration and repairs were undertaken using traditional materials. Internally key historic features including the stair and cornices were repaired and reinstated. This resulted in the building being restored to its original aesthetic.
On completion in early 2011 a public exhibition opened in the building focusing on the regeneration of it and Craigmillar in a local and national context. The building is permanently used by a community café managed by the Community Alliance Trust ensuring the building is sustainable within the community.