EDINBURGH CITY CHAMBERS
Location: Old Town, Edinburgh
Client: City of Edinburgh Council
Programme: Completed 2009
The conservation work on this Category A listed building encompassed a number of different areas. Working with a variety of skilled crafts people, traditional methods were employed to restore and retain several historic features.
In the Main Chamber itself work focused on reinstating the original colour scheme. Paint scrapes were taken which were then analysed under a microscope and the results reviewed against hand tinted samples mixed on site. Areas of original gilding were also reinstated using traditional hand application techniques. The light fittings in this room were original but the shades had been replaced around 1960. An original 1904 shade was discovered elsewhere in the building and used as a mould from which cut glass replicas could be made. The resulting cream and gold décor has an opulent sparkle under the new lights.
On the main stair and surrounding civic corridors the original timber panelling was repolished. In the marble corridor an alcove was formed in the historic panelling to house a silver scale model of the Scott Monument. The location of this alcove acts as a beacon to draw people towards the Main Chamber from the stair.
Extensive cleaning and restoration was undertaken on the stained glass throughout the building, including the discovery of some hidden pieces, now once more on public display.